900g organic granulated sugar
290g organic cornflour
1 teaspoon Steenbergs Cream of Tartar
230ml water split in to 4 equal parts (4x 57ml)
1 tablespoon organic lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons of chosen Steenbergs Organic Extracts (Orange, Rose, Peppermint, Vanilla, Almond (Natural not organic) or Lemon)
2/3 drops of food colouring (yellow for lemon, pink for rose, orange for orange etc)
50g Pistachio nuts (optional)
200g organic Icing sugar
Vegetable oil (for greasing)
- Line a deep baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- In a saucepan, combine lemon juice, sugar and 2x 57ml water on medium heat. Stir constantly until sugar dissolves. Allow mixture to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer, until the mixture reaches 240 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine cream of tartar, 230g cornflour and remaining water in saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until all lumps are gone and the mixture begins to boil.
- Stop stirring when the mixture has a glue like consistency.
- Stir in the lemon juice, water and sugar mixture. Stir constantly for about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, and allow to simmer for 1 hour, stirring frequently.
- Once the mixture has become a golden color, stir in your chosen Steenbergs extract, food colouring and optional Pistachio nuts. Pour mixture into lined baking tray. Spread evenly and allow to cool overnight.
- Once it has cooled overnight, sift together icing sugar and remaining cornstarch.
- Turn out Turkish delight onto table and cut with oiled knife into cubes.
- Dust cubes with icing sugar mixture.